An overwhelming 86 percent of those surveyed believe their applications are at least 80 percent open source with the remaining 20 percent custom components and code, illustrating a dramatic shift in how mission-critical software is built. This paradigm shift is forcing companies to rethink how they manage risk in the age of agile, component-based software development.
While reliance on open source components increases year-over-year, limitations on the visibility, control and management of their use continues to be a problem. Of those large organizations surveyed (companies with > 500 developers), an astonishing 76 percent have no control over what components are being used in software development projects and even more alarming is that 65 percent don't maintain an inventory of components used in production applications.
Which means that the software consists of holes and bugs (80%) and tested software (20%).